autonomous | group show

@ e street gallery

Bloodshed

installation by

julie bernadeth and ember de boer

“Homicide is the leading cause of death of people who are pregnant or have given birth within a year in the United States, surpassing dangerous complications such as eclampsia and hemorrhage.” 

A blanket ban of abortion in the U.S. would lead to a 21% increase of pregnancy-related deaths overall, a study from the University of Colorado Boulder found. Researchers only included numbers related to the actual pregnancy and delivery, saying: “Any increased death due to unsafe abortions or attempted abortions would be in addition to these estimates.”

imagery that inspired

EMBER DE BOER

As a survivor of domesitc violence and a substrate of the societal enviroment that creates a dangerous world for women; I created this piece in sisterhood with Julie.

A ritual in process, a creation of mending;

A disruption in execution, a psychcological space.

Pulling on themes and processes from both our studio practices to collaborate on what shared communal womanhood can look like; processing real life traumas through visual creation. For me the right to safe abortion is tied to the very reason I saw California as a viable plave to live- “at least my rights will be safe there” living in Kansas, I always felt unsure of how my rights would play out in a conservative state. Feeling trapped in unsafe places, with unsafe people, in a world that had no interest in defending me- no interest in weather or not I survived. 

Women have lost their autonomy- across the nation women have had their soveirgnty taken by laws, men, neglect, abusers, and medical “professionals”. Its never to late and too tired to stand up for women’s right to life and self soverignty. 

“Bloodshed”

Bloodshed.

The blood drips from my

sisters,

my mothers,

my creators.

The seduction of feminine power, the magic of life, the saftey of a medial procedure.

The pain, the pressure, the judement, the secrecy, the publicity, the controversy.

A bathroom? A medical office? A device, or a hanger? A pill? 

How will I – control my future?

Count to 10 and hope it’s over.

Who – controls my future?

Who – is aborting who? 

My body. My Choice.

My body. My Choice.

His Baby His Words His Choice

Bloodshed.

Circulating. Blood. Press.

Drip. Drip. Drop.

My Sister, My Mother, My Creators

all end up at the Butchershop.

Our Fortunes Ahead, Our Stories Told

The birth of death, and no control.

-Stream of conciouness poem in reflection on “Bloodshed” by Ember de Boer

fuel for your fire:

ARTICLES THAT INSIRED:

Here you can find articles that back the lived experiences of the artists; through narratives, examples, and research about the importance of these vital rights and medical procedures. 

Lives are at stake- and access to resources and safe care are how we save them. Feast your heart and eyes on the problem we face:

m. A maternal death is defined by the World Health Organization as “the death of a woman while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, irrespective of the duration and the site of the pregnancy, from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management, but not from accidental or incidental causes (1).”

 

In 2021, 1,205 women died of maternal causes in the United States.

In 2020 861 women died of maternal causes.

In 2019 and 754 women died of maternal causes.

The maternal mortality rate for 2021 was 32.9 deaths per 100,000 live births, compared with a rate of 23.8 in 2020 and 20.1 in 2019

There were 189 known pregnancy-associated homicides in 2020. Among those deaths, 81 percent involved firearms, 55 percent of victims were Black women, and 45 percent of victims were under the age of 24. Furthermore, 54 percent of these homicides occurred when the victim was pregnant, and the remaining 46 percent occurred during the first year after a woman had given birth.”

 

TAKE ACTION:

DONATE TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD

 Purchase a “Fortune Cootie” by donating $15 through venmo and showing the recipt to Julie Bernadeth or Ember de Boer @ E Street Gallery during open gallery hours or at the reception.

venmo: @emberisart

Proceeds will be donated to Planned Parenthood after the conculusion of the exhibition. 

If you want to talk about protecting our most vulnerable:

2020 study found that being pregnant or postpartum increases a person’s risk of homicide by 35 percent compared to those of reproductive age who are not pregnant or postpartum; 55 percent of those homicides occurred in the home and are thus classified as domestic violence.”  

And Lastly:

Abuse often gets worse during pregnancy. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (also called ACOG) says that 1 in 6 abused women is first abused during pregnancy. More than 320,000 women are abused by their partners during pregnancy each year.”